Wednesday, 5 August 2026

We had plenty of rain last night

 Boy oh boy did it rain last night. The garden has perked up beautifully so clearly needed a thoroughly good soaking. Isn't this sunflower beautiful in a strange and different way.

 

Cucumbers are growing faster than I can use them so I've taken to pickling them.



I've given several away to friends and neighbours too. The cost of food is likely to rocket again in the Autumn as the heatwave takes it's toll on harvests. I'm so glad that I turned my garden into a little allotment.  It still looks beautiful but saves me a fortune on our grocery bill.



7 comments:

  1. Watching that heavy downpour revive parched soil feels deeply satisfying. That bizarre sunflower looks incredible. Pickling surplus cucumbers proves super smart, especially with skyrocketing grocery bills looming this autumn. Turning backyard space into a vegetable patch creates a brilliant money-saving win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden looks so much fresher today. It certainly needed a proper drink.

      Delete
  2. Was that a chilli in with the pickled cucumber? I bet they add a whole lot of flavour to dinners.

    I love the sunflower. It's happily doing its own thing, and good for it! The rain will have done wonders for all of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a chilli in with the cucumbers. I'm trying to make different flavoured pickles so we don't grow tired of them

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you won't get tired of them. Those added touches mean that it's so much better than store bought.
      Uncle used to make lethal pickled onions, spiced with chillies and mustard seed and absolutely demonic. They are remembered with much fondness, and I'm sure that those cucumber pickles will be as well.

      Delete
  3. I love that sunflower. How very unique!

    ReplyDelete