Saturday, 22 August 2026

It's pickling season

 This morning I pickled a few jars of tomatoes and one of cucumbers. The tomatoes will only keep a couple of months but the cucumbers stay crisp for a very long time. Don't they look pretty. My freezer is stuffed to bursting with garden produce and I am planning on reducing the amount of tomatoes and courgettes that I grow next year. There's only so much space in the freezer. 


I gave a neighbour a tub of vegetables this morning. She popped back a little later with a bar of chocolate for me. I was so touched as that's the first time anyone's given me anything in return. I'll make a tray of rocky road with it as I've got all the ingredients. We're off out to friends for a meal this evening and it'll be a nice change not having to cook. 

12 comments:

  1. That's so lovely she gifted you the chocolate. I usually give jars of jam as a produce thank you and it seems to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Fi from Australia, I have a glut of tomatoes at the moment and would love to know your pickling method for them. I’m growing the miniature Roma tomatoes.
    Kind regards
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fi. I sterilised the jars first using a sterilising solution. Then I put two cups of white vinegar and one of water into a pan. Add half a teaspoon of salt and about a dessert spoon of sugar. I like to add a chilli or garlic clove, a little sprinkle of mustard seeds and a couple of bay leaves. Bring it to a boil, pack the jars with raw cucumber slices or little whole tomatoes. Pour the boiling vinegar over the vegetables and put the lid on. Let it cool a bit before tightening the lid. I keep mine in the fridge. The cucumbers stay lovely and crisp.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Cherie, I appreciate it.
      Kind regards
      Fi from Australia 🇦🇺

      Delete
    3. You are very welcome Fi. Xx

      Delete
  3. I asked my neighbour if he could use some courgettes and he said yes. He made soup with them and gave us some.of that. I, in the meantime, had made courgette muffins so he had some of those. Courgettes have become a staple round here! Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never thought about pickling tomatoes, but what an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've run out of freezer space and I've eaten so many tomatoes that I'm starting to look like one.

      Delete
  5. How lovely to have a drop of kindness returned. It is unexpected but so lovely and you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you. That's a lovely thing to say. Xx

      Delete