Thursday, 30 July 2026

My plum tree is an apricot

 This is the first year that my plum tree has born fruit. The label says it's a Stanley plum but as the fruit is a blushed golden yellow and huge it's clearly not. I googled it a while ago and thought I'd nailed it down to a particular variety of yellow plum. I was baffled as to why the fruit is ready now though as the plum I'd thought it was, shouldn't ripen until September. Imagine my surprise this morning when Tony and I shared one to discover that they are actually apricots.  That means that in my garden I'm growing  several varieties of apples pears and plums. I now know that there's apricots,  strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, honeyberry, gooseberry, two varieties of grape and some rhubarb.  Not bad for a relatively small garden. The teacup is to show how big the squash and apricot are



2 comments:

  1. You are growing impressive quantities of fruit.

    The yellow plums at my grandparents were usually ready in July, and I remember them with fondness. They wouldn't be a bad thing to grow, but, in my opinion, apricots are much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a couple of gage type trees in the neighborhood and they make the most delicious jam. I think I'll have to go and see if they are ready yet.

      Delete