Sunday, 20 February 2022

Bargain food

Yesterday Tony and I popped to Aldi to pick up a few bits and pieces.  They have huge trays of chicken drumsticks for £2.99 and there must at least twenty drumsticks in the tray. They weigh 2kg and I bought two trays.  One of them I will cook for dinner today as we've got Alexander and Beckah coming over and the other I'll split down into portions and freeze. I had planned on buying a piece of pork and that would have cost considerably more than the cost of both trays of chicken. I've just popped out to the veg garden to pick some veggies and collected a load of sprout stalks.  These are little  shoots that my sprouts have been throwing out for ages.  They're as sweet as anything raw and the tenderest tastiest veg steamed.  A real bonus that I might once have ignored but now actively encourage.  They aren't a blown sprout and I'm actually wondering whether they would take root if I took them as cuttings.  I'll give it a try this week.It would be amazing to think I could grow sprouts from cuttings. 


Edited to say that I've taken some cuttings and will see if they will root and grow.  Details on the garden blog if anyone's interested

6 comments:

  1. Sprout stocks- brussel sprouts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I've just taken some cuttings and pushed them into a tub to see if they will grow. It's always worth a try.

      Delete
  2. Our Aldi is good for meat bargains too & all the fresh meat is usually Australian, but I always check. I'll be fascinated to see if your leaf cuttings shoot & you get sprout plants, that then have babies(giggle). Yummy...... I love brussel sprouts even though most of my family don't. Have fun, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing. Fingers crossed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage were all developed from the same plant. Perhaps your sprouts are remembering a cousin of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good deal! We have Aldis too. It's quite good for meat. I just don't get there too often as it is a little out of my way.

    ReplyDelete