Wednesday, 2 February 2022

Another freebie

Yesterday while I was out walking with my friend I spotted a large recycling box that had been pushed under a hedgerow along with some plant pots and other flotsam and jetsam.  We don't use this type any more as the local authority in it's wisdom has given us three huge bins for the various things we chuck out. I use the big green waste bin as a compost bin and we only put the actual dustbin out once a month as we have so little rubbish to throw out

Exactly like this one. 55 litre tub.

I eyeballed it and then continued walking.... When Tony got in from work we took a walk and collected the box and a couple of big logs that will be cut up and stored for our wood burner.  I'm going to use the big tub to plant potatoes as it's good and deep and will stand in front of the fence without getting in the way.  I have a few of these tubs and they are perfect for growing things in... Last year  I grew Jerusalem artichokes in one and it's still giving me plenty of lovely tubers.. I'm going to stack them offset from each other and make a bit of a growing wall. They will be quite heavy once they are filed with compost and won't blow over if it gets a bit blowy in the garden.  Gives me even more growing space too and will make the fence look nice and green in the summer months.

12 comments:

  1. And excellent find but why do people fly tip - it's so unnecessary nowadays.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bugs me to bits that people do that Joy... and don't get me started on dog poo bags slung under the hedgerow... dirty blimmin so and so's

      Delete
  2. theres nothing like a Womble find...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a daft thing to fly tip and a great rescue from you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder at the mentality of people that fly tip.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. One can never have too many large tubs for planting things.

      Delete
  5. It's amazing what you find if you keep your eyes open. What a great score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we went back and collected it.

      Delete
  6. That was a good spot! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already been filled with Jerusalem artichokes.

      Delete