Tuesday, 25 January 2022

Aaaaand breathe.....

 I've been on my feet all day so far and have just stopped for a cuppa.  I decided it's far too cold to be sowing seeds so I've spent the morning cooking curries and casseroles.  The curries have gone in the freezer, a lamb hot pot in the fridge for tomorrow and Thursday and I currently have a sausage and veg casserole slow cooking in my mini oven.  That'll do nicely for tea tonight.  Best of all I grew practically all the veg myself.  I've put pictures on my gardening blog if anyone's interested in which veggies I picked today.  I was absolutely chuffed to bits to find a nice crop of potatoes in one my tubs. I simply threw a couple of hairy ones into some old potting compost mixed with reindeer poo and topped them with chipped bark. I left them to get one with it themselves and they've come up trumps.  Potatoes are now definitely on my growing list for the coming year. 

Lamb hot pot ready to pop in the oven 


14 comments:

  1. We had a decent potato crop, too! We've got red cabbage and cauliflower almost ready now, it's very exciting!
    Far roo cold for gardening today, it's been bitter here and so grey and gloomy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't grown cauliflower for years but might give it a go this summer

      Delete
    2. I have Romanesco Cauliflower seed that I can add to the seed stash Cherie - a nice nutty variety. Eh, ye can't beat a hot pot lass ;) x

      Delete
    3. That would be brilliant Lulu. We had some frozen Romanesco at Christmas and it was gorgeous.

      Delete
  2. All sounds as though you had a busy day & it's good to have ready prepared meals in the freezer when you are working, although I still cook double of casseroles etc. to have an easy meal for when you want a break from evening meal preparation and we are retired. Good too when you are having what the weather gurus(ha-ha), have labelled as a "low intensity heat wave". It's just plain stinking hot!!! My blueberries are cooking on the bushes, before I can pick them all. Have a good day, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get a few blueberries this summer.

      Delete
  3. It must taste better for being homegrown, and it looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lovely! Sounds like it's been a really busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I grew potatoes one season and was very pleased with them. You are a busy bee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the days get longer I always feel like doing more and more.

      Delete
  6. Potatoes are so easy, aren't they? And so much nicer too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just. Definitely growing more this year.

      Delete