My courgette and tomato glut is storming along. After I did my daily harvest Tony and I popped out to pick up a few things from Sainsbury's. I've seen a lovely chicken escalope recipe that uses crispy onions instead of breadcrumbs. We managed to find the onions in Sainsbury's so watch this space. Here's the harvest that I pucked this morning.
When we got back I decided to harvest any tomatoes that looked as though they might split. We'd been forecast heavy rain and I didn't want to lose my tomatoes. Several of the big heavy tomatoes had snapped off so I was pleased that I'd checked the plants. This little haul weighs in just short of 5kg. Obviously some aren't ripe yet but give them a few days and they'll be lovely.
I did a bit of research about the cost of organic beefsteak tomatoes. They average around £10.40 a kilo. This tray full would have cost me nearly £50 if I had bought them from a supermarket. I made a huge pan of minestrone soup with some of the veggies. It tastes absolutely lovely and there's enough to last a few days.


No comments:
Post a Comment