Saturday, 27 June 2026

Thoroughly lovely time

 Tony and I are just back from our friends where we've  been treated to a lovely buffet tea and watched a beautifully put together video of their recent holiday in Canada. I love looking at other people's holiday photos even though I have no desire to holiday abroad.  Our country is absolutely stunning and being retired means that we can go at the drop of a hat when the weather suits us. We hadn't taken coats though so we had to do a quick dash in between heavy downpours. Elaine loaned us an umbrella which was a godsend as we'd probably only walked a hundred yards before the heavens opened. Our shoes and trousers had gotten a good wetting by the time we got home. A beautiful double rainbow was our reward. It's now that horrible sticky warm and I'm getting a bit fed up of the heatwave. Hopefully it'll start to cool down over the next few days. The garden though is absolutely loving the showers and heat. Everything is growing crazily fast and we can't keep up with all the lettuce and  cucumbers. It'll soon be courgette and tomato season and I intend to make a load of sauces to freeze for the winter.



16 comments:

  1. Very cool on the double rainbow to boot. Not too shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. England is so beautiful and there are so many wonderful places to visit with all different landscapes to see. I wouldn't travel anywhere else if I lived there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it's usually cheaper to holiday abroad than to stay in the UK.

      Delete
  3. Lucky you we have not had any rain at all here down on the south coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your country incredibly beautiful as well. I need to hone my travel to places in the US Ive not seen, but some places are pretty far to drive and air fare is very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got pretty much every landscape imaginable here. I'm not good in hot weather so holidays in the sun hold absolutely no appeal. I'm happiest in England or should I say the UK.

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks amazing, Cherie. I bet it's enjoyed the recent downpours. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. I'm amazed how dry everything still is even after all the rain

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks just amazing and I am so glad you had a lovely time with friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. Your garden is pretty special too. X

      Delete
  7. We have so much incredibly beautiful countryside here in the UK. We're now inundated with courgettes, our tomatoes and cucumber plants have lots of tiny fruits but they won't be ready for picking for 2 or 3 weeks yet, I shouldn't think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courgettes are starting to swell so it won't be long before they're ready to pick. Tomatoes are ripening beautifully in my porch. I've had a few currant tomatoes from the outdoor plants and they're covered in flowers so hopefully will be really productive.

      Delete
  8. A double rainbow is a beautiful sight to see and would have been a perfect end to the lovely time you had at your friends. The sticky, humid weather was not fun for us was it. However the garden seems to have enjoyed it more and everything has been growing at great speed. Enjoy the cooler week ahead while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible how quickly everything grows after a good downpour. We're forecast rain most of tomorrow and the garden will love it

      Delete