Wednesday, 9 February 2022

Why?????

Tony has a lot of holiday to take so is off today and we had planned on going out for a nice meal. Unfortunately every menu we have looked at is loaded with chips/mash/roasties or rice. Trying to go out for a nice low carb meal is proving impossible so I have suggested that we go and buy a couple of nice steaks and a bag of mixed salad. I'll cook it at home and then we can have a run to the garden centre.  I've suggested he rings his friend and goes out for a meal with him sometime as I'm just not wanting to stuff carbs down my throat. I don't mind eating them occasionally and suffering afterwards but unfortunately I really do feel awful after eating carbs. It's taken me a very long time to identify the cause of my discomfort and joint pain and I'm doing my utmost to avoid the foods that set me off. Why oh why don't venues offer a nice mixed salad? They certainly used to but now all you get are a few bits of rocket and lettuce, a tasteless tomato and slice of cucumber in a bowl and pay a small fortune for it. 

15 comments:

  1. That seems odd that there aren't some main dish salads. Even our simple pubs seem to have a salad topped with meat options, but quality is random. I suppose ordering a la carte would be very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's because salads are so perishable and there might not be a lot of call for salad as a main course.

      Delete
  2. Wetherspoons might not be your thing, Cherie but they do alternatives to chips. Their 8oz sirloin steak comes with a Mediterranean salad with pearl barley, quinoa, butternut squash, berries, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, kale, pumpkin seeds and basil - 627 calories! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix, It's been a long time since we visited but we used to love Spoons and had no idea that they served such nice food these days. Our eyes lit up when we read that description and are going to check and see whether our local spoons serves it.

      Delete
    2. Their food is really good and they accomodate all kinds of special dietary needs. Even their drinks menu is calorie counted. xxx

      Delete
  3. It's infuriating, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then we wonder why everyone is overweight.

      Delete
  4. dont forget the foul salad dressing ...highlight of every meal out these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bleurghhhhhhh. It's truly awful isn't it.

      Delete
  5. Is there a Harvester near you? They do unlimited salads and son goes mad for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do a bit of research and see if there is. x

      Delete
  6. Basically we don't eat out these days except a bit when visiting UK & I quite often opt for a child's meal. The meals over there are "HUGE", compared to what we eat at home or at a restaurant here. I could never believe from the first time I visited UK, that "everything" seemed to be served with chips. We can have either salad, chips or hot veg, depending what you've decided on. I'm highly allergic to garlic, raw onion & hot spices so another reason not to eat out as everything seems to be laced with garlic now. My cooking isn't fancy, but adequate & hopefully healthy. Hope you find somewhere nice to eat for the future. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate being faced with a huge plate of food. Most pubs here sell massive portions and it's really off putting.

      Delete
  7. That's how I feel when I go out to eat here and try to find anything vegetarian. Usually my only choice is a salad that I could make at home for a fraction of the price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That annoys the heck out of me. I don't mind paying for a meal out but it's got to be at least as nice as something I'd prepare myself.

      Delete