Thursday, 10 February 2022

Carving club

On Tuesday Tony and I met up with the rest of our carving club for a social evening.  We are trying to find new premises for the club and had agreed to meet up at one of the venues suggested by a club member.  Sadly the venue wasn't suitable for our club but we had a thoroughly lovely evening with everyone and are looking forward to getting back together again. Tomorrow we are driving over to Bowburn to see whether a venue there might be suitable and if it is we can make a start on getting the club back together. It'll be nice to have a bit of normality and routine back into our lives at long last. I'm taking a couple of Jerusalem artichokes for a couple of club members so that they can have a go at growing some. I'm getting a Leycesteria (also known as a Pheasant Berry) from one of the club members and I've just found this on a google search. 

The Pheasant Berry was brought over by the Victorians from the Himalayas or South West China and has toffee tasting berries when ripe but are dreadful and very bitter before then.



It's a pretty looking shrub  isn't it. I'm looking forward to tasting them when it starts to produce berries.

6 comments:

  1. The pheasant berry looks so pretty that I wouldn't be bothered about the berries (and the birds would certainly get there first!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that bothered about the berries either but it's nice to know that they are edible as well as beautiful

      Delete
  2. Oh wow ! I would love one of those - it's so pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to picking it up next time we see Jim at the carving club.

      Delete
  3. We have one in our garden. It originally came from a friend as a seedling but we have had it many years and it is now a tree. We let it get tall. I looked it up in the past and read that the ripe berries were edible and tasted like chocolate. They are chocolate coloured. I tried them and they are vaguely like chocolate but are small. The blackbirds love them. The flowers are very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it could become a tree. I think I need to do a bit more research so that I put it in the right place.

      Delete