Sunday, 2 January 2022

Using up the leftovers

 I've set myself a challenge.. I am planning to see just how long we can go without shopping for anything but milk/cream and loo rolls. I'll be making as many meals as possible using up all the Christmas leftovers and today's lunch was the start.  I dug my waffle maker out of the cupboard and made cheesy potato waffles and served them with tinned baked beans.





The leftovers for today

Two veg mash.  On this occasion I used the mashed potato/parsnip mix leftover from yesterday.

A chunk of parmesan that was looking a bit suspect... done this before and we'll live  :-)

A chorizo that needed using up.  That's gone into a soup and I'll be listing it on my gardening blog.

Turkey and turkey gravy.

I grated the parmesan into the leftover mashed veggies and stirred in an egg. Then I sprayed the waffle maker with a one calorie chilli oil and spread the mix into it. This was left to cook while I warmed up some beans and oh my goodness it was so tasty and filling.. but clearly not low carb. 

The decorations are all coming down today and we've stopped for a break as it's a mammoth task. I'm glad to see them going away now and can't wait to bring the plants back downstairs. 

12 comments:

  1. Good luck to you with your plan. January is usually a low grocery spend month for us as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased that I can pick fresh veg from the garden so won't need to shop for veggies at all.

      Delete
  2. That looks really tasty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The waffles sound scrumptious. All our decs were put away last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were lovely and I'll make them again some time. Our decs are all down and mostly put away.

      Delete
  4. I have shut all the naughty food away in the garage out of my eyeline...the theory is that it will then last much longer. We shall see how it pans out! We had baked potatoes yesterday to use up some of the lurkers and I've just shredded a few sprouts we've got left and added them to a risotto we've had this evening. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be forcing mice pies on unsuspecting visitors for the foreseeable future.

      Delete
  5. No leftovers here as we didn't spend up on food this year due to shortages with so many delivery stoppages & there were only 2 of us. Your waffles & beans sound yummy. All decs away here. Oh, just remembered........I do have a lot of blueberries! Picked 14kgs so far & with many more to come. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's an impressive harvest of blueberries. I'm hoping to grow some this year. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheesy potato waffles - yummy. is it just cheesy potato mash crisped up in the waffle maker or is it what you describe further down? Either way, it sounds great and why have I never thought of that before - bubble and squeak waffles - yum.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mix of parsnip and potato that I mixed with parmesan and an egg. Utterly delish it was too.

      Delete