We had a thoroughly lovely afternoon with our friends yesterday. The roast lamb was perfect though my Yorkshire puds could have been better. I'm beginning to think my mini oven is on it's way out as my puds have been a bit hit and miss lately and I make them the same every time I cook them. I'll keep an eye on it and decided whether it needs replacing in a week or two. It's a necessary spend as I use it practically every day. For pudding I made a quick microwave lemon and sultana sponge with custard. Ann had never made a sponge in a microwave before so I think they'll be having a few sponge pud desserts from now on. If you've never made one before they are dead simple. I simply weigh one and egg and use the same weight in butter, sugar and flour. I use plain flour and add a half teaspoon of baking powder but you could simply use the self raising variety. Mix it all to a batter and put it into a glass bowl and cover with cling film. Stab the film with a knife a couple of times to let the steam escape. Cook it on 'high' and it takes about 2 minutes of you use a 60g egg to make your batter. A bigger egg would mean a few seconds more and a smaller one a few seconds less. You might need to adjust your timings for your own particular microwave. If you double the quantity don't double the time. I found that 3 minutes and forty seconds was plenty for a double quantity yesterday. It would have easily served six but I gave us all a very generous portion. You could turn it onto onto a plate and add buttercream to make it into a sliceable cake if you want a quick treat and you'll be amazed at how light and fluffy it is.
I'm currently waiting for the gas man to come and service our boiler. My friend is popping in for a cuppa so I had a quick cleaning blitz after my morning walk today. The other week I was rubbing over our granite hearth with an anti bac wipe and decided to wipe over the glass window in the wood burner. I was astonished to see the soot simply wipe away so I've given it a quick clean. Here's the before and after.
| Before |
| After |
| The miracle worker. |
I'll be doing it every time I clean it from now on.
Oh wow that is quite a difference!
ReplyDeleteGlad the dinner went well. It sounds all very lovely. I must admit that I don't make Yorkshire puddings as often as I should! Hubby loves them though so I should make an effort right lol
I've reduced the amount of carbs I eat so can't have Yorkshire puds too often. They are a lovely treat now and then.
DeleteThose wipes must be good & would love to get ours that clean without too much effort. The pudding sounds rather yum as I'm quite partial to anything lemony, gingery or (& this is the naughty one), chocolate. We try not to eat too much in the way of dessert & mine last night was 4 cherries & 6 grapes, but DH will invariably have a small amount of ice cream which he loves....smile. Must pop you an email about something we use in the wood burner which helps with soot build up for burner case & flu. Take care & hugs.
ReplyDeleteThanks Susan, that will be really useful. x
DeleteWhat a difference! I'll have to try that. Thank you for reminding me about the microwave sponge. The men used to enjoy this recipe from the BBC https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/628869/recipe/microwave-sponge-pudding It certainly rounded off a nice Sunday dinner. I need to get back to that habit.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to have a simple pudding every now and then isn't it. x
ReplyDeleteI use that method for sponges, whether in the microwave or in the oven. It's so, so easy and always works.
ReplyDelete(not that I make many sponges nowadays. Maybe - for my birthday?)
xx