Friday, 21 January 2022

Is it worth paying for quality

 I've just been reading a post about paying  bit more for quality..   Sybil Witters On     and it got me thinking back to when  Alexander was in school.  I always took him to the local 'Clark's' shoe shop and paid a small fortune for good school shoes.  When he was about fifteen he asked if he could have some trendy ones instead of the usual school shoes.  I warned him that they would last five minutes  but I was more than happy to buy them for him.  He loved that pair of shoes for about a week.  They were binned after a fortnight as the sole had come away and they rubbed his foot to blisters.  He was more than happy to finish his last school years in 'Clarks's school shoes'.  It's definitely worth paying more for something of quality. I'd far rather buy a good quality second hand coat than a cheap as chips one from Primark or such like and I've always bought good shoes. It's a bit difficult when you are a size 3 to actually get shoes to fit these days. I often have to buy a size four and wear thick socks.  For  the past few years when I find a well fitting pair I always buy two identical pairs. I also  have shoes/boots re healed and re soled.  It's quite expensive but nothing like the cost of buying new shoes.

11 comments:

  1. As a child I loathed the bi annual purchase of Clarke's shoes, the September 'back to school' pair and the summer sandal. Deeply unfashionable and the cause of much derision at school by classmates wearing trendy platforms. My Mother said i would thank her when i was older for ensuring my feet would not become misshapen and subject to bunions! Thankyou Mother, my feet are very healthy - my sister's however, who was also subject to the same misery are awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough as kids we only ever got cheap shoes and my feet are fine. I don't recall my mother ever having our feet measured.

      Delete
  2. As a child I loathed the bi annual purchase of Clarke's shoes, the September 'back to school' pair and the summer sandal. Deeply unfashionable and the cause of much derision at school by classmates wearing trendy platforms. My Mother said i would thank her when i was older for ensuring my feet would not become misshapen and subject to bunions! Thankyou Mother, my feet are very healthy - my sister's however, who was also subject to the same misery are awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always with shoes - my mum was just the same and always made sure she saved so we could have Clarks.

    Some things - not so sure. It depends whether I want them to last or not really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to avoid disposable things as best as I can these days.

      Delete
  4. I agree about the shoes. Bear has always been taken to first Clarks and then Clinkards for properly fitting shoes, and it's been worth it. I think that, on the whole, good quality is better. I'd rather buy good quality sausages than cheap steak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never minded the expense of good shoes but only wished kids didn't grow out of them so quickly.

      Delete
  5. I must admit I don't like spending a lot of money on things. Since I hurt my ankle a few years ago I always spend a bit more on shoes. I can't wear the cheap ones like I used to. Mum used to let me buy the fashion shoes and I would spend a lot of money going to the shoe repair shop to have blakies (not sure that's how it is spelled) put on my heels as I always wore them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We called them 'segs' and I remember how we could make them spark. I should look into having them put on any pair of boots I wear as I have a tendency to wear down the heels

      Delete
  6. I was brought up to buy the best I could afford and it was far better to spend my cash on a fantastic quality secondhand coat from a charity shop than a new one from some cheap high street shop. I've never set foot in a Primark. Some people say they buy their knickers from there because they're cheap - I'd rather buy costlier ones from M&S - I'm still wearing the ones I bought 15 years ago which works out a darn sight cheaper!
    I remember being so embarrased by my Clarks' school shoes as a teenager, too. I love their shoes now! I don't know whether you're aware of it but Clarks' have outlet sale website - www.clarksoutlet.co.uk - there's loads of really nice size 3 boots on there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Clarks have an outlet but following your advice last year I found the M and S sale and bought three pairs of identical boots. They'll keep me going for quite a few years if I look after them properly.

      Delete