This morning for the first time in around five years I caught a bus into work. Nothing unusual about that. I climbed on and used my debit card on the contactless thingy. I collected my ticket and settled in for the loooooooooong journey but was pleasantly surprised that it only took thirty minutes, the train takes twelve but it had been cancelled.The bus website says it will take 45 minutes. When I cam out of work I caught a return bus and herein lies my pillockness. I climbed on the bus and wafted my ticket over the reader.... nothing. It needs to point up says the driver so I turned it around and wafted it again.... nothing. It needs to point up said the driver. I thought I had done that says I repeating the procedure. It needs to point up said the driver again a little impatiently... I looked blankly at him and said 'what do you mean point up. he stabs at the bar code on the ticket and pointed to the reader... That needs to be able to read it. Realisation dawned... he meant it needed to be face up... why didn't he say that?.. :-) I thought the card reader was going to scan the barcode but no.. That was a different bit of kit... I paid cash last time I was on a bus and the driver glanced at my ticket on the return journey. Hopefully it will be a long time before I need to catch another bus.
Poor word choice on his part and just repeating the same poor word choice doesn't make you the pillock. I'd not worry about it and take the transportation that works for you best.
ReplyDeleteI was mortified when I finally understood him.
DeleteI think it was the driver who was a pillock rather than you in not explaining himself more effectively. May be he needs to do a communications course:-)
ReplyDeleteMitzi
I'm glad it wasn't just me that had that thought. x
DeleteThey must know that people are getting buses when they haven't for a long time. But it does sound normal for a bus driver.
ReplyDeleteI used to think that bus drivers needed a degree in rudeness in order to qualify to drive a bus. They were frequently vile.
DeleteOh for the good old days when life was simpler.........stupid things are those readers and even poor old bus drivers have trouble with them too & therein lie their frustrations as well. Take care & hugs.
ReplyDeleteIf he'd only said 'face up' I'd have understood immediately.
Deletelol - and ooops! He could have clarified a bit more, I think.
ReplyDeletexx
I'll know if there's a next time :-)
DeleteSo annoying to have to use cards for a piddling amount. Why can't I chuck £1.50 into a bucket at the toll of the Humber Bridge, rather than pulling up within reaching distance of the card machine. And then find I have put it in the wrong way round and can't punch the number in.
ReplyDeleteTotally agree. Give me good old fashioned money any day. At least I know how much I have left in my purse at the end of the week.
Delete