Sunday, 30 January 2022

I challenge you

  Last year a few You Tube gardeners took part in a potato challenge. They all bought 1.5kg of spuds from a local supermarket and planted them, then once they'd all grown they weighed the harvest. I was going to buy some seeds potatoes this morning when I remembered the challenge. I've bought 2.5kg of Maris Piper from Aldi's for the princely sum of 89p. I don't have the space to grow a huge amount of spuds so I plan to take a half kilo of them out of the bag and use them as seed potatoes to see just how many potatoes I'll get when they've grown. I'd have paid £2.99 a kilo for Maris Piper seeds potatoes at a local garden centre. These worked out at just over 35p a kilo so quite a bargain. I plan to grow mine in buckets and I wondered if any of you fancy giving it a grow... half a kilo of  shop bought spuds of any variety is the challenge and we'll see who can grow the most. You can put them in bags, buckets or the ground





16 comments:

  1. I put mine in a bag for life as I only have one bucket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I might give it ago if I run out of tubs.

      Delete
  2. Will you show how you do in buckets? I'm really curious and maybe could handle that kind of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as we get some decent weather this coming week I'll do a photo shoot and post them here. x

      Delete
  3. We'll join you. I know proper garden centre-type seed potatoes are treated with something or other, but husband has grown ordinary supermarket spuds no end of times with perfectly good results. He grows his in bags (and like Hester has used old supermarket bags or empty compost sacks), as they get eaten to death by slugs and eelworm if put in the ground here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smashing. I'll be interested to see what variety you choose.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't dare! I am death to plants and anything I plant outside is at the mercy of the local pigeons who are TOUGH I mean, I wouldn't take them on in a dark alley. I look forward to seeing how it works out with you, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister can even kill artificial flowers :-)

      Delete
  5. Might join this too, though it's the wrong time of year, so my results may be later in the year. We'll see. I love the Wonky Potatoes you are getting from Aldi. We don't have them at ours in Oz, but our Woolworths have Crazy carrots & other misshapen veg for sale & they are always OK. We just ate a rather strange shaped zucchini from the garden & finally our tomatoes are colouring up with more strawberries coming along too. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to eating fresh zucchini again. We call them courgettes.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like fun. I bought some potatoes for my beef stew today. I grew them once before, and they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like the taste of home grown veggies is there.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to join in..do they need chitting first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it makes a real difference but I intend to do some both ways as an experiment.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! I'll be interested to see how this works out. I tried growing potatoes once. Can't say it went too well lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to see how it goes.

      Delete