We are constantly being told to use public transport in order to save the planet. That's all very well if it's reliable.. which it never has been where I live. The assumption is that it's a bit posh here and we all have cars. In truth most people do but we've never been a two car family and I've always used the public transport system. Annoyingly though I always set out at least an hour before I really need to just in case either the train or bus lets me down. I'm staggered at the difference in the cost of using the train instead of the bus. I buy a season ticket for the train at cost of £10 for the year and it cuts a third off the cost of travel. My train journey during peak times is £2.95 for a return ticket. Off peak it's £1.95 for a return ticket. The journey takes 12 minutes. If I use the bus, a return ticket will cost me £5 and the journey takes nearly 45 minutes.... and that's on a good day when the traffic is flowing. Then the council complain that nobody uses public transport. I'd far rather catch a train much earlier than I need to as I can sit and read my book or magazine once I get to work. I'm working again this afternoon so can choose a train to suit me even if it's earlier than I'd like to go. Tony is going to pick me up which is a relief as I'm told that the 5pm train is always cancelled at the moment and the bus journey (if it tuns up) is a nightmare through rush hour traffic.
I don't use the train her as I'm too far from the station, the bus stop is a bit of a hike and the fares start at £5.50. I have to pay that to get to be post office or shop.
ReplyDeleteOuch, That price makes my eyes water.
Delete"Public transport" seems not to be run for the benefit of public nor environment but rather is viewed as a cash cow only by companies and authorities alike.
ReplyDeleteThat is so true.
DeleteWe have no public transportation into the city. People need to drive to a park and ride at least 15 miles away, then catch buses to either downtown. My friend does it to avoid parking fees.
ReplyDeleteI feel guilty moaning now and will count my lucky stars that we do have public transport even if it's unreliable.
DeleteI had looked at the cost of trains and coaches up to the Midlands, thinking of visiting my sister. The massive costs, faffing about having to change trains, and the length of time the coach takes (owing to stops and not being a straight A to B journey) totally put me off though. I'm glad you're over the Covid and able to re-start normal things again.
ReplyDeleteI'd hate to have to switch trains. I have no sense of direction whatsoever and can get lost walking around my kitchen :-)
DeleteI've never commuted by trains, but I love travelling on them. I'm on a main bus route in a major city. The buses are supposed to be every ten minutes during the day. They aren't. After around 6pm they become very strange and they panic at the first snowflake. I only learned to drive to take son to school, but it has made such a difference. I will hate going back to the bus.
ReplyDeleteHard to gauge the differences between bus & train here with what you are paying as we very rarely use public transport these days due to being retired and since the pandemic have not even attempted to go into Melbourne on the train. Can't say too much as I'm married to a retired bus driver and that is actually how we met back in the early 1970s. He was my local bus driver. How times have changed since I was a child with how we commute or even don't commute for work, given the advancement in technology. Hope your travels to & from work improve. Take care & hugs.
ReplyDeleteIt does take longer especially by bus and sometimes the cost is terrible. When I was over this last Summer I got a bus pass but that only works out well if you're taking a lot of buses. Over here where I am in the US public transport is terrible - practically non-existent. I suppose it might be better in larger cities.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first came here I couldn't drive and it was horrible. Most neighbourhoods don't have shops like they do in England. We're lucky that husband has a company vehicle, so the car is mine during the days.
I'd be concerned about Covid, too. I used to commute to work by bus and my bicycle. It took a long time. There were also safety issues, arriving home at after 10:00 p.m. I don't need to drive much anymore, but am very thankful for my car. I can walk everywhere up at the cabin, but the people in that area worry me. Covid has made me more of a homebody. Glad that Tony could pick you up at the station.
ReplyDeletePublic Transport whats that , we have no bus service , nearest bus service is 3 miles away . We have call connect but you have to pay an up front fee for it and it will merely take you to the nearest bus stop plus you need to book ahead . Other half cant get onto a call connect bus . So without a vehicle we are stranded ..GPs and coop are 5 miles away and the route is frequently shut meaning at least a 15 mile detour ,through december due to road closures it was a 30 mile detour
ReplyDelete