Today Tony and I had planned a trip to Barnard Castle (of Dominic Cummings fame) as it's only about 40 minutes from us here. We were going to have a wander down by the river and a photo shoot in front of the now famous Barnard Castle sign. Unfortunately the wind is blowing a hoolie and we've had a bit of a weather warning so it's probably best to leave it until the weather is decent. We've been loads of times before though and it really is a nice little market town. We'll probably end up in Northallerton instead if we even bother to go out as we had planned on cooking bacon butties up on the moors before our trip over to 'Barnie' as it's known to us locals. It's pronounced Barnud Cassul and not Baaaarnaaaad Caaaaaarsull which makes us roll our eyes every time we hear a southerner speak about it. Or maybe we commoners need to start talking a bit posher :-)
You need pleasant weather for a trip like that, don't you?
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid I would say it the southerner way - ooops!
xx
Shaking my head and rolling my eyes Joy.. :-)
Delete< grins back at Cherie >
Deletexx
Castle is definitely promounced cassul - those Southerners don't have a clue! They even pronounce bath with an "r" in it!
ReplyDeleteBarnard Castle was on The Antiques Road Trip this week, it looks a lovely place.
Hope you enjoy your day whatever you decide to do. We're off to explore another park in a bit when this massive black cloud decided what its going to do! xxx
Oh my goodness the wind is strong here today. I'm eyeballing a very bendy tree and hoping it doesn't topple. Hope you have a smashing day out and hope the weather is good for you. xx
DeleteI have to laugh as I read it out loud multiple times to figure out how Minnesota Americans might say it. I think I landed on Bar-nard Casual.
ReplyDeleteWe have a friend called Bernard. pronounced Bernud... he hates being called Bernaaaard
DeleteSorry your day didn't go as planned. Hope you got to go somewhere.
ReplyDeleteI'd probably say it half and half. According to you I'd get the first half right but the castle is more like carsul. I grew up in the south - Suffolk.
The wind was so strong that we stayed home. Thankfully there wasn't much local damage.
DeleteBarnard Castle seems to be very in vogue this year Cherie, thanks to Mr NeededToTestHisEyes. I fundamentally disagree with the southern UK adding of extra 'r's to things (as Vix mentions - 'Barrrth', not Bath!) . I had many a drunk argument about it when I was a student down in Brighton!!! And they talk about lairy northerners ;) Luckily, they drop the 'r' in these Cornish parts :) x
ReplyDeleteI don't think I need get my eyes tested at Specsavers any more. I'll just drive up to Barnard Castle in future :-)
DeleteSorry to hear you had to postpone your outing to Barnard Castle & my pronunciation might sound even funnier.(lol). I can quite easily pick up on accents from northern England & people ask how I know, so the I explain that my dear DH is a Yorkshireman. Windy here again today, but not quite so hot & it's sure been a weird summer here weather wise. Take care & hugs.
ReplyDeleteWe're due some more strong wind today. We aren't too far from the coast so we're hoping we won't be too badly affected
DeleteIt would be very dull if not for all our regional accents, North or South!
ReplyDeleteI think you are right. I love to hear a Geordie accent or a nice deep Welsh one.
DeleteIt's too windy to go anywhere here. But I suppose a trip to Barnard Castle saves the price of a trip to Specsavers!
ReplyDelete:-)
Delete