Tuesday, 31 December 2019

Tan Hill

Yesterday Tony and I had a run out to Tan hill inn which is the highest pub in Britain....   https://www.tanhillinn.com/  The scenery over that way is absolutely stunning... on a clear day... It wasn't a clear day.  Or perhaps I should say that it was clear and bright when we left home. We climbed higher and higher over the Yorkshire Dales and gradually the fog became thicker and thicker. There were occasional chinks in the fog and low cloud which revealed the most glorious patchwork fields and old stone walls.
We were surprised at just how busy it was when we arrived but we soon found a table and ordered our meal.  We were told it would be about forty minutes so we settled in. It arrived an hour and fifteen minutes later but that was fine as we weren't in a rush.  The meal was ok if a bit pricey for pie and chips..  We have had better and we have had worse. I absolutely hate it though when staff clear away Tony's plate while I am still eating. Then the waiter came back and stood over me while I finished eating my meal. I felt a little uncomfortable to say the least. We probably won't eat there again but will certainly have a drink there.
We left the inn and drove over into Cumbria before wending our way all the way home. On a lovely day it would be a gorgeous route to take and we intend to go over that way from time to time this coming summer.

Image result for Tan Hill inn

4 comments:

  1. Not great service, is it, even if they are full? I'd find it off-putting too. I'm glad the food was nice though.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pub is in a superb location. I read a book about it once, how they were snowed in for several days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad the waiter was so impatient. You have a right to eat in peace! What a beautiful spot for a meal and if the drive is good, so much the better. Hopefully it will be less busy in the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i hate loitering waiters too!
    X

    ReplyDelete