Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog

Sunday, 9 July 2017

My kitchen is ruined.... flooded completely

I woke at 06.30 this morning and padded across the bathroom floor... The very hot bathroom floor.  I was totally mystified as to why it should be hot.  Then I heard the boiler working downstairs.?   I ran downstairs and opened the kitchen door to be met with what appeared to be a sauna.  The kitchen was full of steam.  The floor flooded and hot water spurting up the wall from the base of the tap... I called Tony and of bed and he stopped the leak.  Then we started to assess the damage. The kitchen cupboards and my lovely sparkly worktops are all swollen. I have a corrner cupboard where we keep all the small electrical things.. Pie maker, toaster,  grilling machine etc. They were all sitting in a fog of steam and every vase in the cupboard was full to overflowing with hot water.  I am absolutely gutted but feel very humble when I think of everything the poor souls in that dreadful tower block have lost. Two things that have broken our hearts to lose are daft little personal things.  Yes we could buy them again but it wouldn't be the same and we won't replace them.  One is a picture that my daughter bought me for my birthday when she was just a teenager. The other is a carriage clock that Tony received for his 21st birthday.  The plumber is coming to repair the tap tomorrow and I have to wait in for the insurance company to get back to me. I currently have a house like a tip and lines full of the towels that I used to mop up.... How did your day start?  :-(

16 comments:

  1. O sweet heart thats terrible..i hope that you can get it sorted..it is the little things that matter most isn't it..my heart goes out to you..
    ftm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara. Thank you for taking the time to comment. It will all get sorted in due course but Tony and I are so upset to lose the clock and the picture.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear this, what an awful thing to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being kind enough to comment. It was an awful shock when I opened the kitchen door

      Delete
  3. My heart goes out to you, as you say it is the things lost that hold memories that cause the most pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I am more upset about the clock and picture than the kitchen. the kitchen will be replaced but the personal things can't.

      Delete
  4. Oh no, what a horrible thing to happen, water can do such damage. Hope the insurance company are helpful and quick so you can get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ou for taking the time to comment. I feel verydown in the dumps today

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you and may it be fixed speedily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cherie, I'm so sorry for you both. I hope you're able to get things cleaned up and everything sorted as soon as possible. It's such a terrible shame you also lost items so precious to you.
    Sending hugs. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. It is the loss of the personal bits that has upset me the most. I can replace a kitchen but the picture and clock can never be relaced.

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry and really feel for you. Losing personal things are just not replaceable as I know from past losses myself. Also all the mess and hassle before getting back to any kind of normal. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol... on the bright side of things. I now have the cleanest tins and jars in North Yorkshire

      Delete
  8. oH dear!!!! That is awful....so hard to lose those bits of sentimental value. As you say some you could buy again but it would never be the same!

    keep well though :-)

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear - such a shame. I am sorry that you have this. I know that the personal treasures hurt more than anything when these things happen :-( xxx

    ReplyDelete