Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog

Thursday, 12 May 2016

I am bleary eyed this morning

Tony had to get up at 05:00 to go to work today and this of course meant that I too had to wake up at 05:00. We have two spare bedrooms so guess where I will be sleeping next time he offers to work a little overtime? My feet are sore and my ankle badly swollen.  Not a good start to the day really. On a brighter note, I have five Childminders and eighteen children joining me in Fairy Dell today so the morning will be a lovely outdoor one. Last night after tea I spent a couple of hours making paper flowers on paper straw stalks for the littlies in the group. I need to keep the activities really simple so I have planned a very easy colour matching task in Fairy Dell. Some of the blossom on the trees have five petals so a simple counting exercise might be on the cards too depending on how we get on. I don't think many people stop and think about just how many learning opportunities there are outdoors.  I wish schools would encourage more outdoor learning instead of keeping children imprisoned for a huge part of the day...  is it really any wonder that some children just can't cope and become disruptive. Even schools in towns with very little green space could use the outdoor area far more effectively.  It is amazing just how many diferent types of minibeasts can be found under stones and plant pots.  A few large plant pots are all that is needed to grow some flowers or fruit and the odd gro bag or two would be perfect for growing herbs and salads. In fact the schools could treat gro bags as miniature gardens and plant them up with miniature veg and edible flowers.  

4 comments:

  1. Hope your ankle eases up Cherie x

    Have a lovely outdoors day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great day with your young friends and take care of that ankle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blimmin ankle is still giving me grief.... oh well, plenty of strapping should ease it a bit. x

    ReplyDelete