Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog

Friday, 11 September 2015

Stuffed marrow.

Having cooked and eaten my first ever stuffed marrow ....overgrown due to going on holiday courgette..., a couple of weeks ago I am deliberately allowing some of my courgettes to grow large enough to do the same. I have three very promising looking ones on the plant and am hoping that they grow a lot bigger before I cut them.  I need to do a bit of research about the keeping properties of marrows as next year I plan to grow a patch of them for winter use.As soon as pumpkins start appearing in the shops I plan to make a batch of spicy pumpkin soup to divide into portions and pop in the freezer for the winter.  That reminds me of when I went into the local school to teach the kids how to use the veg that they had grown.  We made spicy pumpkin soup and from a class of 20 kids only one didn't want to try it.  Each of the others came back for seconds .  I bet they would have curled their noses up if their mums had offered them it for tea.  I suggested that they show mum how to cook it and then they could impress their own families with their cooking skills. Kids in a different school made chutney with me using the produce that they had grown in their little veg plot.
My runner beans are still producing tons of beans and we can't keep up with them. The tomatoes are late ripening but there is a huge crop so if they don't turn red it will be soon be green tomato chutney time. I keep finding the odd strawberry and enjoying it fresh from the plant. Speaking of which I need to pot up some of the strawberry runners for next years crop.  I want to pretty much clear the square foot veg plot at the end of the month and get it ready for a fresh crop.  Caterpillars have badly attacked the sprouts so we will be eating the tough leaves shredded and braised in a little butter. I need to rethink the brassica plot as although I love to see the butterflies I really don't want to share my veg with caterpillars. I am waiting in this morning for the chimney sweep.  They are supposed to be lucky too so maybe I should put the lottery on tonight  :-)   Then I could go and buy my dream  'tiny house with a huge walled garden'.   A girl can dream.........

2 comments:

  1. I love stuffed marrow. My mum used to cook it when we were children. So versatile and filling too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. marrow stuffed with curry , marrow stuffed with haggis , varients of the, shit i forgot to pick the courgettes syndrome

    ReplyDelete