Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog

Friday, 2 November 2012

Beeswax

When I went into work last week there was a large block of beeswax on my desk. It is about the size of a small tea plate and about 3 inches tall.



That is a lot of beeswax as i am discovering.  My colleague Claire brought it in as they keep bees and didn't really know what to do with it.  Well today I have begun separating the wax from the honey that is embedded in it.  I melted it in a glass bowl which I set over a large pan of simmering water.
I have made a gorgeous lip balm using some of the wax and a little bit of olive oil.  I need to work on the proportions as it is a bit firm and takes some working into my lips at the moment.  I can taste and smell honey and my lips feel lovely and soft.

 
I have spent  a little while looking at ways of making the lip balm and they all seem to suggest almond oil.  Sadly I don't have any in my kitchen so I have had to make do with olive oil.  I have only made a tiny batch of balm as I need to dig out my little glass jars and sterilise them. The little batch I made I have put into a small shot glass. The rest of the wax is sitting in my heart shaped silicone moulds cooling.  

There is also a lot of honey left from the block of wax so i plan to filter it and make some biscuits later today.  It is strange the kinds of things I get given and always leads to lovely new hobbies for me.

UPDATE.  My house smells of honey and Alexander tells me that everything has a coating of wax  :-)   I have had such fun today.  I am now making a basket from old newspapers and am waiting for the glue to dry before i can move on to the next stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment