Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Soup day

Today is my day off and I have come over all domestic goddess ish :-)  The log burner is lit and I have the kettle sitting on top of it.  I used a kettle full of water to wash the dishes and now I am waiting for it to boil again so that i can make myself a cup of tea. I have also been sorting through my fridge and kitchen cupboards so that I can use up some food that is coming up to its 'use by' date

I turned some wrinkly veg into a delicious soup so let me share this with you.

half a butternut squash
5 wrinkly carrots
1 large onion
4 limp sticks of celery
1 large potato
1 tin of chick peas (I like to drain and rinse them)
2  stock cubes. I used Knorr Chicken ones but you could use vegetable ones if you prefer
1.5litres of water  ( approximately 3 pints )


a small drizzle of olive oil
2 cloves (I don't mean garlic)
half a teaspoon of ground ginger
half a heaped teaspoon of extra hot chilli powder (we like it hot)
half a teaspoon of black peppercorns

1 Large pan
 1 sieve
Potato masher

I always use Fairtrade spices when cooking.  I am more than happy to pay the few extra pence if it means that someone across the world is able to feed his family  Buy a different one each month and you won't notice the difference on your food bill.  They last for ages too

Chop the onion and fry gently in the drizzle of olive oil.You need to keep an eye on this while you peel and chop the other veg because you don't want it to burn.  I like to put all the peeled and  chopped vegetables into a big sieve and give it a thorough rinse under running water

Grind all the spices up together and when the onlion starts to look a bit golden chuck all the spices in and give it a good stir.

Add the chopped veg, the water and the two stock cubes.  Give it all a stir and bring it up to the boil.  Boil it for a couple of minutes and then turn it all down low to a gentle simmer.  (I transfer mine to a slowcooker at this point)

After about 20 minutes mash everything together so that there are big and small chunks and then stir in the chickpeas and allow a few minutes for them to warm through

You can serve it immediately or leave for a few hours in the slow cooker on a low setting.  You might need to add a little extra water if you leave it in the slow cooker as some will evaporate.  I like to cook mine in the morning when I have a day off. I leave it in the slow cooker all day and serve it with lovely crusty wholemeal bread at tea time.

I have in the past thrown whatever veg was in my fridge into soup.  I have chopped a wrinkly cucumber, a wrinkly peppr and a bag of mixed lettuce in.  You don't see it in the soup and it saved it from going to waste.  If you don't want to eat the soup the day you make it why not let it cool then freeze it. Better still, why not go through you cupboards and see what you have that is about to go out of date and make a big pan of soup which you can freeze for another day.

You can add chopped up cooked meat if you have a slice or two left over..

No comments:

Post a Comment