Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog

Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Home Made Butter


Well I promised I would tell you what I have been up to lately. Well, where do I begin? I have been busy delivering recycled craft sessions to kids with Autism which has been quite challenging but really good experience for me. My baby fish are growing bigger and stronger each day and we have 15 or 16 I am not quite sure which. The planning for Middlesbrough Town Meal continues in earnest now and will become more hectic as the weeks pass. It has been decided that Staff will dress up in Edwardian Costumes as it is the 1ooth birthday of the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge and we have tied our Town Meal into the Anniversary event. I had assumed that I would prefer being an Edwardian Lady until I tried on the maids outfit which felt very smart indeed. Oh gosh will we be warm on the day if the sun shines.

Tonight when I came home from work I made my very first butter. It is probably the easiest thing I have ever made. You simply put some double cream into a clean jam jar. Put the lid on tightly and shake it vigorously for about twenty minutes. After about 5 minutes of shaking it looks like thick whipped cream. Keep shaking until eventually the buttermilk separates from the butter. It turned into a lump of butter in a pool of buttermilk. I kept on shaking for a bit longer until the butter was quite firm. Now put the butter in a dish (save the buttermilk for making pancakes or scones) I poured some very cold water on the butter and squashed it a number of times with a fork. I changed the water 3 times until no more buttermilk came out. Then I patted the butter dry with a paper towel. I prefer my butter slightly salted so I added a pinch of sal and worked this through the butter with the fork Et Voila. BUTTER. It is utterly delicious and so satisfying to think I made it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment