Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog
If you would like to purchase one of my Wool Paintings or would like to send a picture of your pet for me to copy please drop me an email me at cherieandtony@btinternet.com

Monday, 23 May 2016

Den building today

I have been booked by a local school to show the kids how to make dens today. It takes me back to when I was a child playing in the woods and fields in South Wales.  Funny how everyone says that it rains all the time in Wales. In truth I didn't remember it doing that until yesterday. The day started off warm and sunny here so I put my washing on the line to dry.  Then it started to rain but I left it out hoping it would stop quite quickly... Luckily it did but when I went outside to check it, the heat hit me like a wall.  The air was heavy with the scent of wallflowers and in an instant I was transported back to Wales.  We sheltered under many a tree during heavy downpours and then watched the steam rising off the ground.  The rain never stopped play, we just waited for it to pass and then carried on playing.  Nowadays kids are so wrapped up in cotton wool that they dive indoors at the first drop or two. We lived two spits from a big field and spent many an afternoon making houses from the grass that had been freshly cut on the field. We lived close to a canal system and would walk for miles long the canal.  I shudder when I think of how dangerous it could have been as we weren't always very careful around the waters edge
I have found this picture of the very spot we paddled as kids.  We spent many an afternoon standing under the bridge fishing for sticklebacks. The water was barely a trickle back then as there were no lock gates to dam the flow.  I have since been back to Wales to discover the beautiful lock gates that are now there.

1 comment:

  1. How fab to den build. Used to do that as a child too! The great outdoors :-)

    ReplyDelete