Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog
Welcome to my blog. I hope it inspires you to try something new as I share with you my crafts and a bit of chit chat.

Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Dried flowers and petals

For the past year I have been drying flowers and petals.  Some from my garden and others from bunches of flowers that I have been given. It started when a few flower heads fell from a bouquet that Tony bought me. I couldn't just throw them away so I floated them on a bowl of water.  Quite by chance I watched a You Tube video on drying flowers so I immediately went on line and bought a bag of desiccant. It arrived the very next day so I was able to dry the flowers that had fallen from the bouquet.  That started me off drying other flowers and leaves and I now have a bowlful on a wooden table in my hall.  I spray it now and then with a gorgeous scented oil spray and it gives off the most lovely fragrance.  If you haven't tried drying flowers then now is the time.  You can probably buy desiccant as a refill for the little dehumidifiers that fit in caravans and wardrobes.  I think I saw them at Aldi once or twice. Anyway, here is how I do it.   I enjoy the bunch of flowers but as soon as it is looking a bit tired I take some of the blooms and simply spread a layer of desiccant in a box. Then I add either whole flowers or petals and leaves.  Then I cover it with more desiccant.  Keep on making layers and finish it with a good covering of desiccant.  Put it somewhere warm and dry for a few weeks et voila......  pot pouri.  I reckon it would be a gorgeous and very personal way to make a small handful of confetti if you have a wedding coming up.
This morning I have put some sweet peas that are beginning to fade to  dry.   I actually put a layer of pansies in the box too.  I have put the pansies face down as it is easier to cover them without creasing.



Home made dried flowers



2 comments:

  1. What a super way to keep those precious flowers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great thing to do! I have many different flowers that I would love to preserve, although not at this time of year. I might try this next year! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete