Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog
Welcome to my blog. I hope it inspires you to try something new as I share with you my crafts and a bit of chit chat.

Friday, 6 March 2015

Sock addiction

I have read so many times about how difficult it is to 'turn the heel' when knitting socks that it has taken me a long time to get started.  For the life of me though I can't see what is difficult about it and I am now almost finished with knitting a second pair.  It was suggested to me that I try knitting a child's size pair of socks but if I am going to make something then I might just as well make a pair to fit me.  The compromise for me came when I was looking through my yarn stash to see whether I had any more thickish yarn.  Woo Hooo,  I hit gold when I cam across a 200g ball of Aran weight yarn that Tony had bought me recently from Aldi.  I am on a 'use up my stash before I buy any more'   mission.  Technically the fact that Tony bought it for me doesn't count   :-)  and it was an absolute bargain at £1.99.  Yesterday I used the Rye pattern again and again I am omitting the pattern part and just following the instructions for the sock. Because I am using such a thick yarn I cast on 32 stitches and simply followed the pattern for that amount of stitches and it worked out beautifully. It is a really fast way to practice sock knitting before moving on to the 'real stuff' and when this second sock is completed I will have a lovely pair of snuggle socks for wearing around the house.  I am going for a walk with the local 'ladies walking group' this morning and then after lunch I need to go food shopping but I bet this second sock is finished before bedtime tonight.  There is enough of the big ball of yarn to knit another pair and I think I might just attempt a pattern in the next ones that I make... Or maybe I could make a bag on four needles.  That way I could Kitchener the seam closed and line it with a sturdy fabric .... ooh err, get me the expert  :-).....

No comments:

Post a Comment