Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog
If you would like to purchase one of my Wool Paintings or would like to send a picture of your pet for me to copy please drop me an email me at cherieandtony@btinternet.com

Tuesday, 24 February 2015

The spiralizer

My friend Debs and I are determined to lose a few pounds in order to reach our goal weight of 9st.  Debs is brilliant and utterly motivated but to be honest I am a bit hit and miss and kind of cut the calories on some days and not on others.  Needless to say Debs usually has more weight loss to report than I do. Well just after Christmas Debs bought a fancy gadget called a 'Spiralizer'.... google it....... It kind of looks like a teeny weeny woodturning lathe. What is does it to cut vegetables into really long strings  kind of like noodles. The idea being to use these veg noodles in place of pasta.  Well although I loved the idea I just couldn't see my way clear to spending £30 on a gadget that I might grow tired of sooooooooooo..........  off to ebay I went in search of something a bit cheaper.  There are several similar things but the one that caught my eye is kind of like a giant pencil sharpener.  It cost less than £3 with free post and packing.  I used it yesterday to cut a courgette and believe me one courgette goes a very long way so I only used half the courgette.  I gently fried a very skinny chopped up slice of bacon until the fat melted.  Then I melted a teaspoon of butter. Yes.. the real stuff, not that plasticy substitute called margarine or low fat spread..into the pan and stirred it into the bacon. I cracked an egg  into the pan and stirred it around until it resembled scrambled eggs and then I tossed the courgette'noodles' into the pan.  I gave a it a few minutes to soften the courgette et voila....  it was utterly delish so I did it again today. Tomorrow I may make a spag bol and use the courgette in place of pasta.  It won't be exactly the same but I am sure  that it will be perfectly tasty and I won't have the added calories from the pasta.  I am delighted to say that I am now weighing in at 9st 5 so I don't have much more to lose. 

I chopped up the plug of courgette that was left over and just chucked it into the pan too.   There is no waste here in Kemp Castle

3 comments:

  1. That sounds intruiging. Did it fill you up? Might give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison. It did fill me up until lunch time. Then I made myself some cheese noodles. I spiralised the second half of the courgette and simply smeared a teaspoon of butter around the pan just to grease it. I heated the courgette until it was soft, added a chopped tomato and one slice of chopped up Red Leicester cheese. I heated it all gently until the cheese had melted. Stirred it all together and had that for my lunch. That too was yummy. I plan to spiralise other veg too just for a change. I may have to make a 'food' page for the blog.

    ReplyDelete