Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog
Welcome to my blog. I hope it inspires you to try something new as I share with you my crafts and a bit of chit chat.

Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Silica gel and some stale bread

Yesterday I returned to crafting with a medium that I haven't used in a few years........ Stale white bread.   I mixed it up with some PVA glue and a splash of acrylic paint  (wear polythene gloves) and using my Fimo moulds I made a whole pile of flowers and leaves.  They are currently sitting in front of my fire drying.  I will dust the cornflour off them before using them to make a brooch.  If you try this you  must make absolutely sure that they are bone dry before you use them.  In the past I never varnished them but kept them in a very dry container.  This time I am planning to varnish them once they are completely dry.







Then the postie arrived bringing my ebay order of Silica gel.  I have seen a few videos that show how to dry flowers using silica gel and it is something that I have wanted to do for ages soooooo..........   Here is my very first ever attempt at drying flowers.  These were fresh picked from the pelargonium in my conservatory. I have placed them in a warm dry place in the sitting room where they will sit for a few days.  I will take another photo when the are completely dry to see how much they retain the colour


I have covered the flowers with the silica gel and have put the container
 in a warm place to dry out for a few days

3 comments:

  1. Amazing what you can do with left over food lol ;-)
    Hope the flowers work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cherie! Your bread/glue flowers are sooo pretty...what a lovely brooch they'll make! I've never tried to dry flowers with silica gel. I usually just flattened them between the pages of a very thick book, but I've heard silica gel works wonderfully. Thank you so very much for the lovely comment you left on my blog. It made me smile from ear to ear! It's so nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hopping by from Docrafts, I now feel very boring that I just make breadcrumbs with stale bread! Your use is much, much prettier - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete